I needed a new waste paper basket…

At the end of last summer, I had a summer house built on the terrace, over the back door. I wanted somewhere to sit and enjoy the garden on the many days when it is too windy to sit outside. I was thinking of summer evenings, but actually I’ve been out there, door firmly shut, on sunny afternoons already. We are calling it the south wing.

Fortunately, I decided to furnish it as I saw things I liked, rather than wait until summer, so I have beaten the lockdown there. I have a bits bowl out there for trimmings of thread and what not, but a few days ago I was finishing some weaving out there. And loom waste was too much for the system. I need a proper bin. Does this fall into the definition of essentual purchases? Not really. Can I make do with a box for now? Well yes, but there has to be a better way.

Then I remembered pictures in old books of woven newspaper. So I went online and had a look. There are two ways of doing this:

  • Cut strips and roll them up into small tubes, giving a result that looks like fine cane. It looks really good, but the chances of me rolling and gluing enough strips without getting in a mess are slim.
  • Cut wide strips and fold them in half. Than sounds much more practical.

So I used my rotary cutter to make a pile of 2 inch wide strips, which seemed sensible. I folded them in half, which didn’t seem firm enough. So I folded them again to make half inch strips. That seemed better.

Now I have experience of basket weaving. I made a waste paper basket at school, when I was about 9 or 10, and that basket is still in service in the living room. I also had a go when I needed baskets for my dolls’ house. That was less successful, as I couldn’t balance everything to get it going.

So applying my vast knowledge, I set to, making a square base. I stapled the first group of strips together to avoid everything slipping all over the place, and that worked fine, and progress was good. Then I got to the part where I needed to start the sides. That needs some tension, to pull everything in. And that is where the trouble started.

By this stage, I was getting towards the end of my first strips of newspaper. The instructions I had seen said you just slot the next strip into the fold. That would have worked on the flat base, where there was no tension, but it wasn’t so easy when I was trying to turn the corner. I tried paper clips, but they didn’t work. The new strip just slipped out again. Staples did the trick. Initially, I thought I would take the staples out when things were more settled, but I have decided it isn’t worth the risk.

Weaving in progress

Things were easier once I’d turned the corner, but the next problem came when I started to add new uprights. Not only was it difficult to keep them in place, but also they flopped about. As you can see, I ended up with a vast tangled mass of long strips. A couple of times when I put it down, I couldn’t find the correct end to keep going. I got round this by using a small bulldog clip to hold my place.

I had planned to make it taller, but I wasn’t sure whether it would be firm enough. I got to a stage to where several uprights were coming to an end, so I decided to give up. I needed a firm top edge, to compensate for the unexpected flexibility. Anything technical, where you tuck in the ends seemed too risky. I’d probably tear things at a crucial place. I thought a bound edge was worth a try.

Finishing the top edge

I cut a couple of strips 6 inches wide, because that is the width of my rotary cutter ruler. I used three layers, and folded under a “hem” of an inch on each long edge, using the ruler. I intended to glue the band on, but I decided that it was too ambitious to tidy up the ends at the same time I was gluing. I treated the strip as a piece of bias binding. I lined one long edge of the strip up with the top of the weaving, which I tidied up as I worked round, stapling the strip down as I went.

Turning the binding strip over the top of the basket.

Turning the strip up along the fold I’d already made was surprisingly hard. I was glad I’d already made the fold before I started, and that I had some strength frm the three layers. Turning the strip over to the inside of the basket was also difficult.

At the moment, the inside is held down with Scotch tape, which I don’t think will last, but I’m not sure how to make it more permanent. That will need some thought, and I’ll get round to it at some point. For now, at least I have a functioning bin.

If I do this again, I will use wider stripe to make the result firmer. I think the minimum should be to cut 4 inches wide, and folded twice to make an inch strip for weaving. That would be flexible to work with, but firmer when it is done. It would be considerably easier to get tension, and to finish the upper edge.

About The Proof Angel

I am a freelance editor and proofreader, working with a wide range of clients from large companies to individuals. I can help you to communicate clearly by carrying out a final check, or by suggesting ideas get your message over. I am an Advanced Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading. I also have a sideline in textiles, as The Rainbow Angel.
This entry was posted in Techniques and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.