Some time in the last century, I bought a set of fat quarters. It could have been around 1998. Ever since then, I have been getting them out, deciding I want to do something really nice with them, and putting them away again.
Then I found a pattern of big wonky stars, in bright colours on a white background. I liked the design, but it occurred to me that all that plain space could be made up of my toning rose prints.
So I set to work. I wanted to make sure I used as much of the roses as possible, so I made it a bit bigger, and I put the pieces together as I went. The result is that the stars are a bit sparce. And the lesson is don’t tinker with a perfectly good design without thinking it through first!
I decided to make some more stars. I cut 2″ squares of paper, and then some random paper triangles to keep the wonky theme going and did what seems to be called English patchwork these days. After I had oversewn the shapes together I hemmed them down. By the time I’ve quilted round them, they blend in nicely. The original idea was to quilt stars in the spaces, but with all the pattern on the fabric it didn’t show up. So a few more stars works well.
So here is the finished quilt. To be honest, I’m not sure if this is totally finished. I think it might need one more star. But that might be too much. I’m not putting the yellow fabrics away just yet, in case I decide it does need that extra star. But as you can see, when it is on the back of the sofa, all you can see is the pretty rose prints.
So now I see those roses much more regularly than I did.
So that is a result!