When I am out and about and I see a useful leaf, it is handy to just pop it into my bag, or a pocket. Then, of course, it gets damaged as it gets muddled with other things, or I forget all about it.
So I thought it would be a good idea to have a foraging bag to keep in the car. I don’t want to use a plastic bag, and from time to time I will find something that is a bit messy.
Then I remembered this bag. It had several holes in it, so it can’t be used for its original purpose. I have been keeping it to use the fabric for something else. Those ladybirds are rather nice. They definitely need using for something.
So I decided to have some fun patching up the bag. The plastic lining that originally gave it some strength has mostly come off, so it needed strengthening in a few strategic places, so the first job was to patch the holes and darn the weaker places.
Then I added a few extra patches and some embroidery, just for the fun of it. I was going to limit myself to recycled fabrics, but I couldn’t resist this cheap, sturdy lace in Dunelm. I’m not sure what it was intended for (they called it cutting lace), but it was far stiffer than any lace I’ve seen before. I’ve used it to make an outside pocket for an umbrella, and embroidered more of it to add to the effect.
The result is a foraging bag, with pockets inside for my snips and keys. I expect some more darning will be needed at some point, but I am not expecting to be carrying much weight, do it should last for a while!